Kevan George sparks Knights on senior night

Senior Kevan George couldn’t have hoped for a better senior night as he scored the Golden Knights first goal leading them to a 2-0 victory over conference rival Marshall at the UCF Soccer and Track Complex Saturday night.

UCF honored seniors Cameron Cooksey, Spencer Scott, Chris Feigenbaum, Warren Creavalle, and George, a group that led the Knights to their highest soccer ranking in school history before the game.

“We wanted to make sure we won tonight, it’s our last home game,” said UCF Head Coach Bryan Cunningham. “It’s important to get these guys out of here with a win.”

The first half went by with relatively no action as the teams combined for only four shots on goal. George changed that scoring the games’ first goal just minutes into the second half as he received a pass from freshman Leonardo Ayala and shot it from about 40 yards out the ball rolling just past Marshall Keeper junior Daniel Withrow’s outstretched left arm
.
The Knights were clearly the aggressors in the match, controlling possession of the ball for most of the second half, they squandered many opportunities to increase their lead. Most notable was when sophomore McKauly Tulloch had a shot spectacularly blocked by Withrow on a one-on-one scoring opportunity.

UCF was finally able to breathe easy after Junior Nik Robsen scored a penalty kick midway through the second half that was set up by a Marshall handball.

“We’ve got a fine team,” Cunningham said. “We’re finally getting healthy and that is big going into the tournament. Bouncing back today was big. It was our third game in seven days, and to get a shutout against a good Marshall team is huge. We are pretty confident going into next week.”

The win comes at a crucial time as the University of Central Florida (10-4-3) had lost its past two games. The winner of this game would be the third seed in the upcoming Conference-USA tournament next week in Tulsa, Oklahoma.