Valencia Holds International Music Week

Rose+Incaica+performed+is+an+Argentinian+music+duo++
Rose Incaica performed is an Argentinian music duo

Valencia College’s International Music Week took place last week on East Campus. Where performers from different countries came to showcase their cultural music.

Professor George Brooks has run the event for years. “We’ve been doing this since the late 1990s. In which we bring speakers, performers, authors and put them in contact with students,” Brooks said.

Each night showcased a different genre of music. On Monday the 4th, Italian pianists Francesco Attesti, Maurizio Bozzi, and Maicol Cucchi, better known as the AB&C Trio, played baroque and jazz. They also discussed the history of the genres to the audience.

Jazlyn Roddiquez, a Valencia Business Administration student, was among those in the crowd.

“[AB&C Trio was] pretty interesting,” Roddiquez said. “I’m not big on jazz but it was pretty good.”

The Argentinean duo Rose Incaica, comprising of singer Annelise Skovmand and guitarist Pablo González, went up on Tuesday the 5th. The duo showcased pictures of birds and explained the characteristics of them. Each bird they showed was incorporated into one of their songs.

“I think it’s very important, especially in this day in age where there are so many conflicts and wars, that it’s very important to build cross-cultural understanding between people,” Skovmand said.

On the final night, Brazilian singer and composer Clarice Assad performed. Assad’s performances are known for their blend of classic world genres such as Brazilian romanticism and French chanson.

The International Music Week is an annual event put on by the Humanities Speakers series. More information about upcoming events can be found on the Valencia College website.