What to Wear to a Job Interview

It’s important to dress appropriately for the type of job you’re interviewing for.

Many college students at Valencia are working part or full-time or are searching work after graduation. In today’s job market, there’s a considerable amount of competition – which means everything matters from your résumé to how you dress.

The way you dress for a job interview depends on the job you’re going for. For instance, some will go for part-time gigs that pay minimum wage and some full-time jobs with a salary in their field. It’s important to appear professional and not too flashy, whether you’ll be working in an office or from home, to create a good first impression and improve your chances of being chosen for the position.

There is also the fear of overdressing. Is it even a thing?

“It could be, depending on the type of job,” said Isaac Brisenold, a student assistant at the Internship and Workforce Services office. “Coming in for a part-time job at McDonald’s in a suit and tie is overdressing,” Brisenold continued. “Church clothes would be a better alternative. Overdressing is a complicated thing but stay away from the three-piece suit until you go for a big job.”

My general recommendations:

• Men: A solid-colored button-up shirt, a pair of slacks that match, and a pair of leather shoes with a matching belt.
  • Women: Either a blouse with a pair of slacks or a modest dress that goes at or below the mid-thigh, with a pair of heels or flats.

Some of the more specific aspects include:

• Tattoos: Covered up with sleeves and nothing above the collar bone.
  • Piercings: Ears are okay, possibly the nose too. No lip piercings. Gauges must either be a small size or for more professional jobs not at all. Some jobs will only allow piercings for women.
  • Makeup: Don’t wear anything too extravagant, keep it simple.
  • Hair: Well-trimmed beard or haircut. For professional jobs, normal or neutral hair colors are acceptable. Otherwise, it depends on the employer.
  • Nails: Well kept. More professional jobs may be particular about what colors are permitted and only allowing neutral colors or clear paint. Jobs in the food industry will not allow fake nails and possibly for them not to be painted at all.

If you’re still unsure about something specific and need help, you can research dress codes by asking people you know who have gone to interviews before or when going for a higher position, or ask your employer what they expect.

The Internship and Workforce Services will be hosting a “Lunch & Learn” on January 24th from 12 to 1 P.M. in Building 8, Room 101 to talk about how to prepare for an internship, internship requirements, and how to apply for an internship – pizza and soda will be provided.

On February 11th, enrollment for the internship program opens online. The internship program gets students job experience off-campus in their major and field of study. You can learn more about the requirements and how to apply at: http://valenciacollege.edu/internship/students/internships.cfm