Florida Cup 2019: Ajax Vs. Flamengo

In the first match of the 2019 Florida Cup, the annual friendly, international soccer tournament held in Orlando, Brazilian club Flamengo defeated the Netherland’s Ajax in an entertaining 2-2 game that went all the way to shootout points, which were (4-3) in favor of Flamengo.

The game started out quite back and forth, although Ajax had more control in the first half. The 16th minute marked Ajax winger Vaclav Cerny coming from the left side and assisting striker Klaas Jan Huntelaar for the opening goal of the game, making it 1-0, and beating Flamengo goalkeeper Diego Alves.

Flamingo answered back quickly because, in the 19th minute, striker Fernando Uribe floated a long-ball over the top for Everton Ribeiro which he chipped over Ajax goalkeeper Lamprou for a goal to tie the match at 1-1.

In the 34th minute, Ajax built up a set-piece that included five passes before the goal came. Midfielder Ryan Gravenberch passed to attacking-center Zakaria Labyad which he shot past Alves to make it 2-1 for Ajax.

At the 43rd minute mark, Flamengo midfielder Diego Ribas fired a powerful shot to Lamprou, which he had to dive for, and he could not control the rebound. His teammate, striker Fernando Uribe got there at the right spot at the right time and tapped it in to tie the game at 2-2.

After all the action in the first half, the second half had less flow of the game since both teams substituted a lot of their players. Alves kept his team’s chances alive with a lot of saves.

Labyad started the penalties and put Ajax ahead. Flamengo midfielder Robert Piris Da Motta was the next taker, and he scored to make it 1-1.

Ajax striker Lassina Traore was next and scored to make it 2-1 for Ajax, Flamengo defender Rodinei then equalized. Ajax midfielder Dani de Wit and Flamengo defender Miguel Trauco both scored to make it 3-3. Then, Ajax defender Joel Veltman shot hit the left post for the first missed penalty kick of the night.

Winger Orlando Berrio was the next for Flamengo, which he fired at the goalkeeper to make it 4-3 for Flamengo. Ajax defender Lisandro Magallan missed his shot and sent it sky high, which meant Flamengo finally claimed the victory

Ribeiro won MVP of the game, scoring two goals for Flamengo.

“I always look for the space moving behind the defenders and look for my teammates passes,” said Ribeiro. “The coach is very intelligent, with a lot of experience and here each of us in the group the coach is going to take the best of us to make us better and to help the team, so we can win more.”

On Saturday, Ajax will face off against Brazillian club Sau Paulo FC at 1 pm and Flamengo will play German side Eintracht Frankfurt at 4 pm in the Florida Cup finals.