Bruce Arians introduced as new Buccaneers coach

Coach Bruce Arians went 49-30-1 with the Arizona Cardinals. (Gage Skidmore)

Two-time NFL Coach of the Year Bruce Arians was introduced as the newest head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at a Tuesday press conference.

“I’m sure a lot of people wonder why I got back in this business. First, The Glazer family, the family word, means a lot to me,” said Arians during his statement to the media.  “When this opportunity came, all the dominoes – I just like to say the stars aligned, then the staff that I wanted and always wanted was available.”

After what seemed to be a promising start to the 2018 season, in his third season as head coach Dirk Koetter failed to lead the Buccaneers to yet another playoff run leaving The Glazers no choice but to move on. After days of speculation following Koetter’s firing – on January 8th, the Tampa Bay’s General Manager, Jason Licht,  announced that new Head Coach Bruce Arians had agreed to a four-year contract through 2022 with having a fifth-year team option.

Often referred to as “the quarterback whisper,” Arians is no stranger to the game. Throughout his years of coaching within College Football and the NFL, he has developed a highly respectable reputation. Arians won two Super Bowls as an assistant with the Pittsburgh Steelers, led the 2012 Indianapolis Colts to playoffs as the interim head coach, and went 49-30-1 with two playoff bids and an NFC Championship appearance in his five years helming the Arizona Cardinals. 

Arians has worked with some of the most elite quarterbacks in recent history, such as Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Andrew Luck, and Carson Palmer and has since expressed just how eager he is to get started with the young quarterback, Jameis Winston – whom he first met coaching a football camp in Alabama when Winston was a high school player.

One of the most respected coaches in the league coming out of retirement has understandably brought a lot of buzz to One Buc Place, but with it comes confidence of which the Tampa Bay Buccaneers haven’t seen in a long time.

“This is a great group, I think we have the core here to win quickly, I’m not about the building I’m about reloading and with that, I can’t say again how excited I am to be a Tampa Bay Buc.” Said Arians regarding the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.