East SGA and VA Collaborate to Provide Week of 9/11 Commemoration

U.S. Air Force photo/Denise Gould

East Campus Student Government Association has teamed with Veterans Affairs to provide a whole week of commemoration of the happenings on September 11, 2001.

Beginning Monday the events planned range from sticking American flags in the mall area grass to discussions about mental health resources available at Valencia.

“Monday we’re having daisies strategically placed around the campus with information about what 9/11 is and coping skills and mechanisms that we can do,” said SGA President Raeshawn Burke. The plastic daisies will be available for pick-up all day in buildings one, four, and eight. Once students grab a daisy, they will be directed to plant the daisies in the mall area.

Tuesday will be the same concept as Monday, but with American flags instead. “What we’re trying to do is [make] it look like daisies plus American flags,” explained Burke.

From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday, there will be tables set up outside building four discussing mental health resources.

SGA is trying to plan a similar event for Thursday, but “that’s kind of rocky ‘cuz this is just something that we kinda came up with,” explained Burke. “We were just wanting to do ours and then Veterans Affairs was like ‘well we want to do something too’ and so we were like ‘alright, cool let’s do something then.’”

One of the proposed events for Thursday is a panel discussion with mental health professionals in the Building Three Atrium from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.