The Musical Evita Wraps Up Sunday on East Campus

Isaiah Peters, Contributing Writer

Valencia College wraps up its performance of Evita today. The show ends its two-week run with a matinee performance Sunday afternoon on East Campus at 2:00 pm. Audiences have packed the house for many of the Evita performances. It’s a very interactive show, as the ensemble performs in the audience space during the show.

Evita is a musical with original music by Andrew Lloyd Webber, and directed by Harold Prince based off the life of the controversial Eva Peron the first lady of Argentina from 1946 to her early death in 1952. The musical features actors and actresses attending either Valencia or UCF as well as some Valencia staff.

The Director Paul Castaneda spoke about the fact that the show was portraying historical figures based off the original show.

Castaneda shared what were the most difficult parts for the ensemble in the process of doing Evita.

“For the singers trying to get through each part and maintain breath control,” Castaneda said.

Victoria Sol Del Agua, who portrays the lead Eva Peron, explained how she was able to sing and maintain breath control for a two-hour show.

“It took a lot of practice and dedication. It’s very difficult music to say the least and it’s just trusting in the music,” Sol Del Agua said.

Sol Del Agua shared about her academic career, her profession, and how she discovered this role.

“I graduated from UCF with a bachelors in psychology and a bachelors in theatre in 2015, I currently work at Valencia full-time as the administrator manager of grant initiatives within the Arts and Entertainment Department. I heard about the show through the department. I was not going to audition, and the theatre program chair came into my office and pushed me to audition. And I can definitely thank him today for this amazing experience to work along these amazing people,” Sol Del Agua said.

Fredy Ruiz, who portrays the male lead Che, shared his academic career and why he decided to do this role.

“I’m Valencia and UCF alumni where I studied theatre, and this was a dream show for me to do, and I’m just really grateful because everyone has been really awesome,” Ruiz stated.

The pricing for students, faculty, and seniors is $12.00 and for guests $15.00.