UCF starting quarterback to be named on Monday

Ty Wright / Valencia Voice

Justin Holman finished the spring game 18-31 passing for 165 yards.

The UCF football Spring game may have ended in a score of 25-10, but the most important thing that came out of Saturday’s spring game is that UCF head coach George O’Leary has picked a starting quarterback.

O’Leary did not name the starter following Saturday’s Spring game, electing to instead announce the naming of the starting quarterback on Monday.

“We’ll name a quarterback on Monday. I want to head into the preseason with no media circus and a quarterback named.” said O’Leary after the spring game. “I think one has separated himself from the others; he’s not where he needs to be but I think he’s separated himself.”

“He’s just the guy heading into preseason and hopefully it’s the right decision and he keeps it. I’m always going to play the people that are the most productive.” added O’Leary.

Sophomore quarterback Justin Holman seemed to separate himself from the pack during the game, as he went 18-31 passing for 165 yards. Holman also rushed for 7 yards on nine attempts.

Redshirt freshman Pete DiNovo however did throw the only passing touchdown of the game, while going 10-20 passing for 117 yards and also throwing an interception. He also ran for 11 yards on six rushes.

Freshman Tyler Harris, who was an early enrollee in the spring, finished the game 5-11 passing for 38 yards, while throwing an interception.

UCF’s veteran wide receiving corps will be vital in helping the growth of whom ever O’Leary chooses to be the starting quarterback.

J.J. Worton led the receivers for the game with six catches for 70 yards and a touchdown. Fellow senior Josh Reese also had six catches, his went for 45 yards.

In all the Knights had 15 different players catch a pass, including Breshad Perriman, Rannell Hall and transfer Jackie Williams.

Another surprise during the spring game was the fact that sophomore running back William Stanback did not take his first snap until the second quarter. He would go on to finish the game with 108 yards and a touchdown on five carries.

Coach O’Leary said the reason Stanback didn’t start the game is because he felt Dontravious Wilson had a better spring than Stanback.

Wilson finished the game with 44 yards rushing on 15 attempts and scored the first touchdown of the game.

One UCF player who was noticeably absent for Saturday’s spring game was center Joey Grant, who sat out the game with a shoulder injury.

Coach O’Leary said following the game that Grant should be ready to go once players return for preseason camp on July 30th.

UCF will now go into summer individual practices before opening up the regular season in Dublin, Ireland for the Croke Park Classic against Penn State on Saturday, August 30.