President Obama visits Valencia

Bryce Brimhall / Valencia Voice

President Barack Obama visited Valencia College on Thursday to speak about women in the economy.

President Barack Obama stopped by Valencia College’s West Campus briefly on Thursday to speak regarding women’s equal pay in the work place.

The president was introduced by Valencia student Carolyn Verno, who shared her struggle to earn more than minimum wage.

Obama opened up his address with a small mention of the NCAA Tournament and the local favorite Florida Gators.

“Valencia represents what’s best in America.” said the president, while also mentioning that the college was the first-ever recipient of the Aspen Prize for Community College Excellence.

During his time at the college the president spoke with students and staff at a roundtable discussion prior to his speech.

Obama mentioned during his speech that women earn 77 cents to every dollar their male counterparts make. The president also made mention of his predominantly female family, saying “80 percent” of his household are women.

“We are not going to wait for Congress; we just need to go ahead and get it done.” said the president during his address at the College.

At the end of his speech Obama also mentioned the Affordable Care Act, which he joked had 5 million people signed up already, despite the site being down during the first month.

As the president left Valencia Special Events Center, he was met with cheers and many students and staff trying to get the ever so lucrative hand shake.

Immediately following his visit to Valencia, Obama got back on Air Force One and flew to Miami for a fundraiser.

(Taken from March 26, 2014 and #ObamaAtValencia issue)