Valencia elects new SGA presidents

By James Tutten
[email protected]

Valencia’s Student Government elections were held through an online email survey last week. This online election method is designed to be user friendly and encourage voting among students.

In past elections, the voter turnout has been in the low hundreds. This year’s election saw a total of 2,355 votes from all three campuses. There were no closely contested races on any campus and only the West campus had more than one candidate for president.

The campus president leads each individual SGA group on campus. They reside over meetings; organize activities, and coordinate other important actions with all other SGA members.

Each new president was asked what their main goal is for their campus this term.

Andres Abreu, from East campus said “To establish a Student Government that exceeds the expectations most are accustomed to seeing, while always representing and serving our students.”

David Rosado Jr., new president for Osceola said, “It’s time for big changes – better organization, better advertising, better events, and a better name for SGA.”

Scott Schaare, the returning president from the Winter Park campus said “My goal will be improving the student involvement for my campus; I would like to see more students participating in activities that take place.”

Patrick O’Connor, who won the contested election at West campus, said “I would like to propose to create a link that when students are registering for classes, once they click the link they will get information on the professor such as the course syllabus, class schedule and information on their teaching style.”

Chanda Torres oversaw the election results, and is the head of student development for all of Valencia’s campuses. She stressed the importance of student involvement in the SGA elections. “The SGA serves as the voice for the student body.” Torres said, “It is important to vote because these candidates will be able to make positive changes at the college that affect you as a student.”

With new financial budget cutbacks in the Florida House and Senate, state tuition hikes are going into effect. The actions of our Student Government are more important now then ever before. It’s imperative that students work together to ensure everyone is successful in achieving their goals on Valencia campuses.

For more information on all Student Government groups, or to contact a specific campus President visit http://www.valenciacc.edu/studentdev/sga.cfm