Rock the Hunger hits East campus

By Maraya Figueroa
[email protected]

Oprah does it, Lance Armstrong does it, and Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt do it too. What do they do? Donate their time and money for charity. You don’t need to be rich or famous to do it. You can raise awareness, invest your own time or collect donations for any cause. Homelessness is a big problem that affects the United States more than people realize.

Rock for Hunger is a non-profit organization that strives to feed the homeless by outreaches and annual concerts. The organization originated from the first Rock for Hunger concert in 2006, it was started by Chris Goyzueta and a group of UCF students. Now, Valencia students have a chance to get involved and make a difference.

The Valencia Volunteers had a “Lunch ‘n’ Learn” hosting Rock for Hunger on Wednesday, Feb. 16, at 12:00 p.m. on the East campus. Chris Goyzueta, the Executive Director of Rock for Hunger, was the speaker for the “Lunch ’n’ Learn.”

He explained how students can help and how necessary it is to get involved. The volunteers go out every Monday night and feed the homeless, but “It’s not only about that, but also about communicating and finding out their passions as well as your own,” said Goyzueta. “I changed my major three times. I didn’t learn what I wanted to do until I learned what I didn’t want to do.”

He went on to explain that he loves music, was good with numbers and wanted to help people anyway he could. So he took the power of music and used it to raise money for a good cause, he hadn’t realized how prevalent homelessness was in America; even in central Florida. “There are 8,500 people in central Florida that are homeless and a quarter of those are children,” said Goyzueta.

What do the students of Valencia think of this? “I think it’s something very interesting and something I’d like to do. I came here not to just learn but I plan on going,” said Crystal Barbosa. Joyce Victor also plans on getting involved and attending the Monday night outreach, “I will definitely take part in it. I enjoyed it and will definitely be going on Monday.”

Rock for Hunger has grown greatly in the last couple of years. Last year they gave their “…first scholarship worth 4,000 dollars to a youth center for a boy who wanted to become a chef,” said Goyzueta. “The annual concert happens every fall and national bands attend; it ranges from 8-15 bands. Art vendors and food vendors pay to come and advertise.”

If you want to get involved please contact the Valencia Volunteers at 407-582-2622 (East campus) or visit www.rockforhunger.org to find out more information.