Twins paving way for Rollins men’s soccer team successful season

Courtesy of Statesman.com

Twin brothers Walker, left, and Tucker Hume celebrate after a goal at Westlake High school in Austin, Texas.

It’s easy to confuse twin brothers Tucker and Walker Hume from one another, especially when both bring such a strong desire for soccer, which has led them to Orlando, Fla. to help Rollins College strive for a National Championship.

As the Tars move to 10-0-0 after a 2-1 victory Sunday afternoon over No. 21 West Florida, there is definitely a buzz stirring about the third ranked team in the country.

“We don’t look ahead past any games…we know we have a target on our back, we are just taking it game by game,” said Sophomore forward Tucker Hume when the Valencia Voice sat down with the brothers to talk about the recent success of the team.

Growing up in football crazed Austin, Texas, it seemed only natural for the Humes to have a life on the gridiron. Their grandfather Tom Franckhauser played for the Dallas Cowboys’ inaugural team in 1960, so it was already in their blood. Or when the brothers grew to 6 feet, 5 inches, it might seem more logical that they would have made their mark on the basketball court. But it was “the pitch” where the Humes found their place.

“We played every sport growing up, but from the beginning we loved soccer,” Walker said.

The brothers would go on to attend nationally recognized sports powerhouse Westlake high school in Austin, which boasts over 30 various state championships and has produced notable alumni such as Drew Brees and Nick Foles in football, and Huston Street in baseball.

“We chose to play soccer at Westlake because we wanted to bring the attention to more than just football,” Walker added. “The pressure of playing at Westlake definitely prepared us for what to expect at Rollins.”

A freshman campaign saw the Tars finish 12th in the final NSCAA/Continental Tire Division II Poll with a 15-4 record in 2012, including an 11-game winning streak entering the NCAA Tournament; Rollins would fall to eventual National Champion Lynn University, 2-1 in the third round.

Rollins came into 2013 losing only one senior from last years squad. The Tars were returning seven all-conference players with Rob Crowley, Daniel Salazar, and Walker Hume named to the first team. Walker was also named conference Freshman of the Year. Brett Durrance, Evan Greenbaum, and goalkeeper Keneil Baker received second team honors and Grant Blackhurst was named honorable mention.

“After a little bit of success last year, and now the ranking this year, coach tells us now we know we are good, so now its about humbling ourselves and keeping that drive to push on towards hopefully winning a national championship,” Tucker added.

The Tars will continue the regular season through October. Postseason play will begin Nov. 5 with the Sunshine State Conference Tournament, eventually leading up to the NCAA National Semifinal and Championship Dec. 5-7 in Evans, GA.

For more information on Rollins Athletics visit www.rollinssports.com