Orlando City advance to fourth round of U.S. Open Cup

Photo Credit: Ty Wright
Orlando City’s fourth round U.S. Open Cup opponent will be Sporting Kansas City, which is the clubs MLS affiliate.

Dom Dwyer scored two goals in the second half to help Orlando City SC advance to the fourth round of the U.S. Open Cup for the first time in club history with it’s 2-1 win over the Colorado Rapids on Tuesday, May 28 in front of 4,128 fans at Fifth Third Bank Field at the Citrus Bowl.

“This is where they want to be, perfect opportunity for them,” said Orlando head coach Adrian Heath. “And I think the second half performance, even before the sending off we were far and away the better team.”

Orlando City took an early 1-0 lead in the game when defender Bryan Burke was credited for a goal on a shot that took a deflection off of a Colorado player and then went past the Colorado goalkeeper.

The Rapids tied the game at 1-1 in the 18th minute when Kamani Hill scored after getting a one-on-one with the goalkeeper and putting the ball in the back of the net.

Orlando went into the locker room at halftime tied 1-1 despite outshooting Colorado 7-5 during the first half.

Dwyer gave City a 2-1 lead not long after starting the second half when he scored on a header off of a cross from Burke in the 48th minute.

“First half I think we came out a little slow,” said Burke after the game. “But this is our first time ever hosting a (MLS) team here and we just wanted to make history.”

Colorado went down to 10 men in the 56th minute when goalkeeper Steward Ceus was issued a red card by the referee for taking out Dwyer on a breakaway.

“Unless I had screamed at the linesman I don’t think they were going to do anything about it.” said Heath about the play that produced a red card. “The keepers’ wiped him out, it’s a sending off unfortunately.

“These are the kind of moments that define our season, so it was a good win for us.”

Dwyer extended Orlando’s lead to 3-1 shortly after the red card when he scored off of a pass in the box from fellow forward Long Tan in the 63rd minute.

Orlando held on to the 3-1 lead and finished the game outshooting the Rapids 17-11 for the game.

With the win Orlando City SC advance to the fourth round of the U.S. Open Cup for the first time in the Club’s history. Tuesday’s game also marked the first time the club has played an MLS team at home.

Orlando returns to USL Pro play next with a game  on Friday, June 7 against Phoenix FC at home. City’s fourth round U.S. Open Cup match is scheduled for Wednesday, June 12 and will be against Sporting Kansas City, which is Orlando’s MLS affiliate.