New building now open on Osceola

Valencia+campus+officials+line+up+to+cut+the+ribbon+in+front+of+Building+4.+Osceola+Campus+President+Kathleen+Plinske%2C+far+left%2C+was+among+those+in+attendance.+
Ninoshka Perez / Valencia Voice
Valencia campus officials line up to cut the ribbon in front of Building 4. Osceola Campus President Kathleen Plinske, far left, was among those in attendance.

OSCEOLA CAMPUS — Valencia College hosted the Building 4 dedication on Thursday. Many important people came to the dedication and spoke about the concept and use of Building 4. Building 4 is the newest building at Osceola Campus and is very important in many different aspects.

Many local school officials were present and spoke, including Sandy Shugart, University of Central Florida President John Hitt, President of Osceola Campus Dr. Kathleen Plinske and others.

They all spoke highly of the new innovation of Building 4 and the benefits it will provide to the students and faculty.

Plinske spoke on the advantages of the building and how it will help students with its advanced technology and modern rooms. She also explained how the students were involved in the building process.

“It’s really been a joy just to watch the students move into the building and make it their own and that’s what really we hoped for when we design this base,” said Plinske.

Hitt gave a speech on how the building is going to be a good investment for future UCF students and current Valencia Students alike, as their education will be enhanced by a new, modern space.

Shugart spoke on how this building is one of the newest buildings that Valencia has built and on future projects for the school.

“It’s the largest building built in Valencia history and it changes the character of this campus forever. It’s the newest landmark in Osceola County and is a beacon of promise and hope for people who can make their life better through education,” said Shugart.

“We have lots of building planned and on this campus and I’m already thinking about a new Building 5 already.”

Many political figures came to the Building 4 dedication, including Kissimmee Mayor Jim Swan.

Building 4 is 150,000 square feet and is one of the largest buildings on any of the Valencia campuses. Designed by the architectural firm Hunton-Brady and built by contractors Clancy and Theys, Building 4 hit a total cost ranged at 35 million. It spans four floors for classes and includes a  bigger library, a UCF Direct Connect office and the Depot Center for tutoring.

“The Depot Center helps me immensely, it helps me and gives me the extra support,” said Donaldson Randall, a Valencia student at Osceola Campus.

“It’s a place where faculty could come and map out their ideas. It doesn’t matter how modest or ambitious they are, we are here to help them out,” said Gary Kokaisiel, Depot Center manager.

Building 4 also includes a cafeteria and a Little Bean Coffee shop for eating, as well a bookstore for study supplies and books. But one of the building’s biggest improvements is in the library, which is three times the size of the old location in Building 1.

“The cafeteria is nice and the math lab is helpful,” said student Rheanna Battle.