East campus students go clubbing

By Shannon Metherell
[email protected]

The Student Government Association had set up tables with individual clubs to promote the club fair. They hosted this event on East campus Thursday, Jan. 27.

With their military uniforms and the training techniques using the pull up bar, the Valencia Veterans Association stood out the most. Many of the club’s activities in creating a brotherhood include recruiting them around campus, helping homeless veterans, and even taking a trip to the gun range with UCF. “We like to help come together and try to help veterans transition into school life” stated president Donald Gibson.

The goal for the Asian Culture and Entertainment club, as Sarah Jackson stated, “is to introduce the asian culture and entertainment through shows, music, and movies.” It is a club that is interested in expressing and learning about the asian culture while encouraging students to take part in their upcoming activities. “We are going to Mori Kami Museum, a Japanese fair and we are holding a Masquerade Ball on April 1st” expressed Chris Ortega, the president of the Asian Culture and Entertainment club.

While some clubs at Valencia are meant to just educate the members in the club about a certain subject, Amnesty International is meant to inform. “All Rights for All People” is their slogan and they deal with enforcing human rights such as the death penalty, child soldiers, human trafficking, domestic violence, poverty; as well as lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transsexual, LGBT which is the right to love.

Unlike Amnesty International, Model UN works as a simulation to demonstrate how the United Nations works with America. Members in the club are divided into Delegates that represent each country, and they all work together to demonstrate the reality of what the nation has to do to get along and deal with the United Nations.

Acedemics are important to any college student, so Phi Theta Kappa had their own table at the club fair reaching out to students explaining them the benefits of graduating with Phi Theta Kappa on their backs. “We put our people to a higher standard,” said the vice president of Fellowship, Tony Hall. Phi Theta Kappa is an honor society at Valencia that helps students exceed in their studies by setting a expectation that allows them to graduate first in their line, as well as get letters of recommendation into jobs and other schools. With the help from the Career Center, they can help find the right path in any career. From guidance in interviews to a ten page report on any job, the Career Center can help.

When it comes to hobbies, there seems to be a trend in the arts. In the Visual Arts Club, fine and graphic art is what they focus on, but according to the President, April Burns, “we are an extra hand to art students and try to provide as much information as we can.” Similar to the Visual Arts Club, the Graphic Design club help students interested in graphic design by providing side projects to give them. Each club provides workshops and guest speakers to the members to lead them in the right direction referring to their art interest. The Film and Video Club allows students who are interested in acting, directing, producing film into their club, no matter the experience one may have. Vice president Anthony George explained that the club tries to be fun by creating short films and movies to practice the talents. “Maybe they can be entered into the film festival” states George.

Every fall and spring, SGA hosts the club fair to provide “extracurricular activities to make students feel at home” states president James Fremming. Not only do the different clubs get to recruit new members, but it helps “students know how to mingle as well as be involved in their academics” expresses Roger Cruz, the senator of community relationships. SGA’s goal when it comes to the club fair is to get students motivated by giving out information about clubs to get students involved with people who have the same interests, but also to have fun while attending school.