Tiger takes lead after three rounds at Arnold Palmer Invitational

Ty Wright / Valencia Voice
Tiger Woods now leads the Arnold Palmer Invitational after three rounds.

ORLANDO – Tiger Woods excelled as he shot a 6-under 66 to propel himself to take the lead of the Arnold Palmer Invitational after three rounds on Saturday, March 23.

Tiger Woods talked about his round performance and he said, “ Yeah, it was nice to make that putt on the very first hole just so I didn’t have four straight bogies, three from yesterday and one starting out today. Made a nice putt there, and I putted pretty solid all day. I hit a lot of good shots, and had a couple poor drives here and there, but overall I was very pleased with the way I played today.” “I hit a lot of good putts, especially when the wind started blowing. I was able to still hit the putts flush even though the wind was moving me around a little bit, it still was good.”

Woods who is 37, has converted 51-of-55 times on the PGA Tour when he’s had at least a share of the 54-hole lead.

Tiger Woods after today’s round he put himself in prime position to win the Arnold Palmer Invitational for the eighth time that would tie Sam Snead’s record of eighth wins at the Greater Greensboro Open and also Woods would reclaim the world’s No. 1 ranking with a win tomorrow in the fourth round, which Woods has had since October 31, 2010.

Tiger Woods said about having the lead, “ Well I enjoy it. That’s why we play is to be in this position. It’s why I’ve spent all time practicing and training is to be in this position. I have a chance to win tomorrow.”

Woods on the day made five birdies at holes No. 4, No. 6, No. 7, No. 10 and No. 15. Woods also had an eagle on No. 16 and had a bogey on No. 13.

Rickie Fowler tomorrow will be paired with Tiger Woods in the final group of the fourth round of the Arnold Palmer Invitational.

Rickie Fowler said, “ Yeah, I am. Justed missed a couple close putts out there today. But other than that, hit the ball nicely, drove it well. Gave myself a lot of looks at birdies, so that’s positive around this track.

Bill Haas and Justin Rose were the co-leaders to start the third round and had terrific starts to their rounds, but both fell off late in the round.

Bill Haas struggled on the day during his round has he had four birdies, two double- bogies and a bogey. Haas had a fast start by taking the lead after he birdie the first two holes, but then he doubled-bogied No. 5 and then birdie No. 6. Haas had a bad start to the back nine as he had a double-bogey on No. 10 and then bogey No. 13 and got some motivation back when he birdie No. 15.

Justin Rose had a disappointing finish to a great start because at one point he was 13- under, but finished even par on the day after he made three birdies, an eagle and five bogies. He started the round birding the No. 1 and then No. 3 and made eagle on the par-5 No. 4. Rose then bogied No. 7 and No. 10. Rose then regrouped to birdie the par-5 No. 12 hole. Then went on to bogey No. 13, No. 14 and No. 17. Rose looks to rebound after a dreadful round, but the positive side is he is only three back of Tiger Woods.