Arnold Palmer Invitational first round kicks off at Bay Hill

Robert Van Deering / Valencia Voice
Jason Day teeing off before the first round of the Arnold Palmer Invitational at Bay Hill.

ORLANDO – Justin Rose leads the Arnold Palmer Invitational at Bay Hill after shooting a 7-under 65 to lead by two over John Huh who came on later in the afternoon to post a 5-under 67 on Friday afternoon, March 21.

Rose on the day made an eagle, a bogey and seven birdies to put himself in prime position at the top of the leader-board in the first round of the Arnold Palmer Invitational. Rose late in the round was money with his putter has he had four straight birdies from holes 4 through 7.

John Huh had a chance to tie the leader Justin Rose late in the afternoon, but he needed to birdie the 9th hole, but he found the fairway bunker and settled for a bogey to finish with a 67 and end up in second alone.

Bill Haas had a great round going on in the late afternoon, but bogied No. 14, No. 17 and No. 18 to finish at 3-under 69. On the day Haas, had an eagle, four birdies and three bogeys in his round.

Haas said, “ I felt pretty good honestly. I played really nicely, I had a poor iron into No. 14 par 3 just short, but the right place to be bad clip hit a nice putt just missed bogey there, my last two I didn’t miss a shot No. 17 and 18 and made two bogeys, so taking the positive out of that I hit nice shots, I just hit the wrong club at No. 17 and then I don’t know what happen on the second putt, I thought I made the first putt I did everything I feel like correctly and it was wrong.”

Tiger Woods had a solid performance to start his defense of his Arnold Palmer Invitational title Thursday morning in quest of another title after he put himself in-contention, after shooting a 3- under 69 at the Bay Hill Club to put himself amongst the leaders during the first round.

Woods, the defending champion who is trying for his eighth victory at this tournament would tie Sam Snead’s record of eighth victories at one event which was the Greater Greensboro Open.

Woods on the day made an eagle, four birdies and three bogeys, but continued his sensational putting from Doral and Torrey Pines.