Knights opening three game series recap against Siena

The turnout for the University of Central Florida Knights worked in their favor after having their third consecutive series victory to open up their 2013 season.

This marks the second season in a row that UCF has defeated the Sienna Saints for the opening series of their season.

The game opener commenced with the Knights easily handling the Saints as Ben Lively pitched six innings, allowing one run, on five hits to receive the first victory of the season for the Knights defeating Sienna 7-1.

Sophomore JoMarcos Woods, now the center fielder starter and lead off hitter after playing a season behind former UCF Knight Ronnie Richardson, was the player of the game as he went 4-for-4, with four singles, and three runs scored. His total throughout the three game series is seven hits, six runs scored, an RBI, and stolen base while hitting .538 in 14 at bats.

“As a lead off batter all you want to do is get on base,” said UCF center fielder Jomarcos Woods. “You got your two three, you got your middle lineup, you want to give them a chance to get some RBI’s.”

Game two of the series had contrasting results as the Sienna Saints capitalized early in the game giving UCF’s starting pitcher Eric Skoglund a rough first inning resulting in four walks and allowing three runs in the first inning. Skoglund finished the night allowing six runs, three which were earned on four hits.

“Siena to their credit they played better,” said UCF head coach Terry Rooney. “They got big two out hits, they took advantage of the opportunity that was made.”

Although struggles from the mound, Chris Taladay would tag on a three hit night which included two walks and one RBI, and improved his batting average to .875 for the season.

Sienna would pile up just as many runs as UCF did in game one, and take the victory 7-4.

As the end of the weekend came around the final game of the opening season series took place awaiting for a team to clinch the series as it was split even at one game a piece.

Danny Davis took the mound for the Knights as he partook in his first career start as a member of the University of Central Florida.

Davis went on to pitch a controlled game by throwing seven innings and allowing only three hits behind six runs set up by the Knight offense from the first inning alone which put him in position to ride out the game.

“It’s easy to pitch after putting up six in the first, so team mates did almost all of it for me,” said UCF starting pitcher Danny Davis on his performance.

“I’m a strike thrower so I usually don’t get a lot of strikeouts, I usually try to get guys to put the ball in the play and let the defense do all the rest.”

The big six run inning for the Knights to commence the game was redemption after suffering their first inning struggles in game two. Two more runs would be added in the eighth inning as Parker Webster drove in two runs on a single to make the score 8-2 and cap off the weekend with a victory.

Sienna’s starting pitcher Rick Morales would only last a third of an inning of the first as those runs he allowed piled up and let any of the Saints chances of stealing a game from the Knights go. Sienna would use eight pitchers in total to cap off the game as they struggled from the mound and UCF would capture their first series win of the season.

The Knights will go on to face top ranked No. 15 Florida, and host a tournament consisting of Connecticut, Texas Tech, and Troy.

In series terms the Knights won’t play another three game set until they meet up with Winthrop on Friday, March 1 through Sunday, March 3 at Jay Bergman field.