This poll has ended.

Will You Be On Vacation Or Working For Spring Break?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Redefining financial assistance, events offer aid with financial aid

Kirsys Asenjo, coordinator of college transition services, assisting students with “Bridges” registration.
Photo Credit: Ty Wright

OSCEOLA CAMPUS — Not enough money in your savings? Or is the amount you received from a scholarship lower than you anticipated, so you still need some type of funding? The “Free Application for Federal Student Aid” (known as the FAFSA) is required by anyone who is seeking financial aid for college and must be filled out annually.

And now you have help.

“This is great that they’re hosting this, I usually wait till last minute to complete it and have to scramble around to find all my paperwork and end up messing it up,” said Paola Nevarras, a student who will be returning to Valencia in the fall.

The financial learning advisers hosted “FAFSA Frenzy” on Friday Feb. 15 on Osceola Campus. The workshop was open to the public and aimed to assist students to renew or complete their application for the first time.

Students who completed their FAFSA on-site were eligible to win door prizes, while everyone in attendance who participated received complimentary snacks and water.

“FAFSA Frenzy” dates were selected to coincide with days off for high schools in Orange and Osceola counties, and will occurred throughout the Valencia community from Feb. 15- 18.

Kirsys Asenjo, coordinator of college transition, assisted new students with registering for the upcoming semester and for the “Bridges to Success” program.

“I brought my daughter here to get a tour of the school and to register her for the fall, however once I heard I could get financial aid situated I figured why not get everything done early,” said Teresa Lopez, mother of a future Valencia student graduating high school this year.

On a smaller scale, each campus will host “FAFSA Frenzy” again between the months of March and April.

Financial aid advising is available to students via private sessions in the campus Answer Centers. For more information and updates on the next round of financial aid events, visit http://www.valenciacollege.edu/finaid/.