Volunteers at East Campus help during taxing time of year

EAST CAMPUS — Free tax assistance and clinics were offered at the East Campus, Feb. 9.

The clinic was open to both Valencia students and the public. Those who participated in the event were able to receive help with any problems they may have encountered while doing their taxes.

“It’s nice to have help,” said participant Timothy Haduch. “When I’m doing it and I have a question, they can answer it.”

The clinic acts as an extended part of the Internal Revenue Service.

“We’re not the IRS, but we work with them,” said Professor Walter Martin, the head of the tax clinic event.

Along with Martin, additional volunteers assisted individuals during the educational event.

“We’re teaching students to do taxes,” said Martin. “It becomes very educational.”

Volunteers are given specific individual training regarding and then a class training to prepare them

“I’m learning a lot,” said volunteer Lindsay Morris.

Morris is currently studying accounting at the University of Central Florida. Being a part of the clinic provided an opportunity to gain experience.

“It’s very educational. There are people here who are more experienced than me and are willing to answer questions,” said Morris.

Over all, between 50 to 60 people received free tax assistance at the event. Upon completion, participants were able to send in their taxes.

In terms of advice for those who have yet to complete their taxes, Martin had some advice: don’t be fearful.

“It’s a good experience, it’s painless,” said Martin.

These clinics are free and open to the public. More sessions will be held Saturdays at East Campus on Feb. 16, Feb. 23, March 16, March 30, April 6 and April 13 in Building 7, rooms 113 and 117. Sessions will begin at 10 a.m. and run through 3 p.m.

Don’t wait until the last minute to decode your taxing frustrations.