This poll has ended.

Will You Be On Vacation Or Working For Spring Break?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Solar Bear newbie Dan Dries on the rise

Dan Dries scored his first goal in a Solar Bears uniform on Friday during Orlando’s 3-2 win over the Greenville Road Warriors.

Dries game winning goal came with 17:40 remaining in the third period, just 26 seconds after Greenville had tied the game at 2-2 on a goal by forward Chad Ziegler.

“The puck was just deep in the corner and I kind of got a step on the defenseman,” said Dries of his goal. “Neal made a nice little chip pass up right on my skate to make it easy.”

Dries finished the game with one goal on two shots on goal, while spending two minutes in the penalty box for boarding.

The Solar Bears signed Dries on January 2nd after a 13 game stint with Ilves Tampre of the SM-liiga in Finland. In 13 games with Ilves Tampre, Dries recorded one assist and ten penalty minutes.

“I thought it was awesome that he got a goal tonight,” said Solar Bears head coach Drake Berehowsky about Dries goal. “He was a big part of the win tonight.”

Entering the game Dries had four assists in seven games played for the Solar Bears.

“Like anything in life you’ve got to earn your ice time,” said Dries after the game. “Nothings given to you and I’m just trying to keep battling, try to earn a little more ice here, and I can’t really worry about anything else that’s out of my control.”

Dries played his collegiate hockey at the University of New Hampshire where he scored 22 goals and had 28 assists before transferring to Ohio State for his junior year.

“Dries has a lot of talent,” said Berehowsky. “He can put the pucks in the net. There’s other parts of the game where he has to improve, but everybody has to improve, that’s why they’re here.”