Magic beat top seeded Pacers, finish 97-86 with contentment

ORLANDO — Glen Davis made a return to the Orlando Magic starting lineup during Wednesday night’s  97-86 home win against the Indiana Pacers.

Davis only played 25 minutes despite scoring 11 points, nine of which came in the first quarter.

“I started feeling rusty during the second half, but it didn’t feel like 25 minutes at all,” Davis told reporters following the game. “We just got to keep up the good work and play the game.”

The Magic began the first quarter by conceding to an early 8-2 run by the Pacers, but quickly changed their tempo once Glen Davis began controlling the paint, having nine points in the first quarter.

Orlando’s biggest lead shot to 22 when the Magic connected three consecutive three pointers; J.J. Redick, Arron Afflalo and Josh McRoberts partaking in the three point shootout.

“It’s a collective effort and when we play like that, that makes great team basketball,” said Magic head coach Jacque Vaughn following the game. “A lot of shots could have been good shots, but turned into great shots.

“Nick makes it easy. The trust I have in him, the drive that he has and the trust,” Vaughn added.

Nick Vucevic added to his double-double streak, scoring 16 points and collecting 15 rebounds.

Orlando were 1-5 in their last five games, mainly having a difficult road stretch which saw victory against the Los Angeles Clippers in L.A., but also weathered a loss to the Washington Wizards on Monday.

The second quarter opened up with the Magic dominating in the defensive end, forcing Indiana to commit nine turnovers as Josh McRoberts added seven points in the quarter.

J.J. Redick finished the second quarter with nine points, shooting 3-4 from three-point land.

The Magic look to build from tonight’s win and look ahead towards Friday, Jan. 18 when they host the Charlotte Bobcats.