Chin scores twice as Lions roll over Islanders

The Orlando City Lions were able to continue their dominance of the USL Pro league, defeating the Harrisburg Islanders 3-0 in a rematch of last year’s final Friday night at the Citrus Bowl.

The first 30 minutes of the match went by relatively quiet with both teams playing outstanding defense early, and neither team could get many chances on goal in the beginning of the first half.

Orlando City nearly got on the scoreboard in the 38th minute when Forward Matt Luzunaris was able to head the ball into the goal, but a side judge ruled that Luzunaris was offsides and the goal was not allowed.

Luzunaris made up for the offsides call a few minutes later when he found the back of the net on a shot from about 10 yards out just before the first half ended with defender Jerome Mechack getting credit for the assist.

The Lions seemed to gain confidence from the first goal at the end of the half and they were able to add another goal to their lead three minutes into the second half. Forward Dennis Chin received a pass from Kevin Molino and was able to shoot the ball over Islander keeper Nicholas Noble shoulder into the top right corner of the net.

Chin added the dagger in the 68th minute getting the ball at the top of the box and finishing in similar fashion to his first goal giving Orlando City a 3-0 lead. The goals place Chin tied for 2nd in the USL Pro with six on the season.

“I was pretty angry from my performance in the first half, I don’t think I played well at all in the first half. Luckily we managed to play some good balls in and was able to come out with them,” said Chin.

Harrisburg suffered a significant blow to its offense when starting forward Sainey Touray went down with an apparent leg injury in the 40th minute of the first half.

Orlando City was able to add another three points to give them a stronger hold on first place in the league. The Orlando City Lions have a week of rest before they travel to Dayton, Ohio to face the Dayton Dutch Lions.

“I think you will hear this from the coaches, a lot of other people, and from the top of the organization we need to concentrate on what we are doing. No team in this league can touch us or can equal the skill that we have. Every player from starters, to if you come off the bench, or if you come up from the U-23s we just need to keep working,” said Luzunaris.