Sad Summer Fest – More Than a Music Festival

The inaugural Sad Summer Festival came to Orlando on July 10 and featured sets by rock bands The Maine, The Wonder Years, State Champs, Mayday Parade and more.

Sad Summer is a new alternative rock festival making its way through the nation during the summer. Many music fans have deemed it the new Warped Tour.

“We’re trying to put together something that bands in this scene of music can do,” says Mayday Parade guitarist, Brooks Betts. “I don’t know if it’ll be Warped Tour, but who knows, maybe as time goes on we’ll end up building it into a bigger thing.”

Sad Summer is a one-day festival making way for the music community to be a part of something bigger. The festival has partnered with several charities across the country in an attempt to raise awareness and donations. Orlando’s chosen charity was the Foundation for Foster Children.

“I feel like logistically it’s probably really difficult for any individual band to take that responsibility,” says Mom Jeans band member, Eric Butler, when asked of their direct involvement with connecting with these charities. “ I think that its really cool that the tour is kind of making sure that we have booths like for women’s rights and abortion, for trans’ rights and for queer people and other stuff, because we really don’t have the time or the resources to be doing that ourselves and thats the kind of thing that we try to do when we’re headlining and we do have the time and the resources. So, it’s really nice that they’ve kind of taken that weight off of the bands for this tour.”

Sad Summer will be traveling around the U.S. for the remainder of July and the first days of August. 

For tickets and more information, visit Sad Summer’s website here.