SGA hosts Presidential Debate watch party on Wednesday

Whether you’re hoping to see a wall built around America or witness the first female take the Oval Office, Valencia invites students of varying political views to join the East Campus Presidential Debate watch party on Wednesday, Oct. 19.

From 9 p.m. to 11 p.m., East Campus invites students to watch the last Presidential Debate of this election. The watch party will be held in the Building 3 Atrium, which offers theater style seating and live streaming of the event. Ice cream and refreshments will also be provided.

While politics tend to be a sensitive subject, this is intended to be a safe place for students to share their differing political views. There have already been two previous debate watch parties this semester held by Student Development.

“Students have identified with both parties and then some,” said East Campus SGA president, Joseph Torres. “We have had the fortunate chance to have an equal amount of representation, but SGA stays in a non-partisan stance. We are there to educate and inform about the process.”

Statistically, those in the college age group hold the record for lowest voter turnout. According to the United States Census Bureau, only 41.2 percent of 18 to 24-year- olds voted in the 2012 presidential election compared to the 65 and older age group where 72 percent voted.

“The goal is to help encourage students to not lose track of what’s important which is to exercise their right to vote whether or not they believe it’s just a waste of time given the apathy surrounding this election,” Torres said. “At the event we will be encouraging students to vote not only for their presidential candidate, but to pay particular attention to the local level elections,” he added.

Join Valencia College for it’s Presidential Debate watch party. It may help you decide whether to vote “Hillyes” or rally for “Making America Great Again.”