New members initiated into Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society

Members+of+past+and+present+were+in+attendance+to+usher+in+a+new+semester+of+members.+

Madison Rubert / Valencia Voice

Members of past and present were in attendance to usher in a new semester of members.

The Chi Epsilon Chapter of the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society conducted a two-hour long Induction Ceremony on April 3, 2015 in the Special Events Center of Valencia College West Campus.

Seventy new members were inducted into the society for the spring semester. Friends, family members, and supporters of the upcoming Phi Theta Kappa members gathered in celebration of their loved ones’ momentous academic achievement.

The ceremony began with opening remarks from Dr. Cheryl Robinson Dean of the Winter Park campus, whom introduced guest speaker, Valencia College alumnus and chapter member of the Phi Theta Kappa, Aubrey Ducker Jr. Ducker encouraged students to fully participate within the organization, saying it was “the pinnacle of [his] college career.” He also explained how the PTK allowed him the opportunity to travel across the country, to participate in service projects, and to create life-long friendships.

As the night proceeded, the new members were inducted into the society by oath and awards were presented to its highly-involved and dedicated members. New officers were initiated within the organization by a traditional and symbolic exchange of candle-lit flame between old and new officers.

Upon closing of the event, former Executive Vice President Javier Silfa and former President Dorine Flanders demonstrated heart-felt, intimate, and personal speeches upon the significant impact the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society has left on their lives.

“I will always and forever be a proud member of PTK,” said Executive Vice President Silfa. “It was a night I will remember forever…We weren’t faking all of the crying and the laughter tonight…I have become friends with these people. That is something I don’t think I would have been able to do in any other club….”

“I was okay alone, but I became great when I joined the P.T.K.,” said President Flanders. “No matter which way I turned…there was always an officer, member, or advisor to support and believe in me.”

To be initiated into the Honor Society, you must have completed 12 credit hours on your AA degree within that college, obtain a 3.5 GPA, and pay a one-time lifelong membership fee of $85. Being a P.T.K. member allows you paid-for traveling and scholarship opportunities.

Although full participation is encouraged, students  who are unable to attend meetings and events may still become five-star members of the P.T.K. family by participating online through “competitive edge” located on the P.T.K website, providing students the opportunity to skills shops, how to speak in public, how to conduct scholarly research within the comfort of their home.

Contact PTK.org or the West Campus Student Development Center for more information about how to get involved in the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society.

“Don’t be apprehensive. Just do it,” said Flanders.